Because my posts are organized by subject rather than chronological, having an easy way to navigate between them is essential. Adding breadcrumbs navigation by using Yoast, helps my readers to easily move back and forth between the content by topic or technology.
I’m using the WordPress SEO Plugin by Yoast to assist with having my site indexed properly. It also has a breadcrumbs function which is quite easy to set up. Below are the steps I used to add breadcrumbs navigation to my posts.
- In the WordPress dashboard, navigate to SEO/Internal Links.
- Check the box to Enable Breadcrumbs.
- Modify the Breadcrumbs settings as desired.
- Copy the content.php file to the child theme folder.
- Open the copied content.php file in the child theme folder in Notepad++.
- Copy the code from the Yoast Breadcrumbs page in the WordPress dashboard and paste it under the “entry-header” line of code and save the file.